Why Is My Light Switch Hot?
It's perfectly normal for a dimmer switch to be a little warm when your lights are on (or partially on). But if it's hot, there could be a problem and can be very dangerous - it indicates that there are serious issues hiding behind your walls. You should call for help immediately of could end up facing a serious electrical fire in your home.
Circuit breaker tripping frequently
High wattage items like microwaves and hairdryers can trip circuit breakers, particularly when other power-hungry items are used on the same source. A circuit breaker is designed to protect you and your home, so when it does trip, that’s a sign it’s doing its job.
Look at what you were using when it tripped. If it was a hair dryer, try using the low setting. As a home occupier you could try to limit the electrical usage on a single circuit while high watt devices are in use.
Old Electrical Wiring: Is It Safe?
Today's household wiring should be plastic-sheathed, insulated three-wire cable. However, copper wiring in many older houses works just as well, as long as it's in good condition and hasn't been altered in a damaging way.
Over loading extension cords and power strips
You should use heavy-duty extension cords, 14-gauge or thicker. (The thicker the wire, the lower the gauge number.) Undersize extension cords (16-gauge or smaller) can overheat and ignite a fire if loads are too heavy.
We suggest adding more outlets throughout your house. This work requires cutting holes in walls and ceilings to snake the wires.
Power sags and dips
A Sag is a dip below the nominal voltage, while a Surge is the opposite, an increase in voltage above the recommended level.
Sags & dips usually occur when the power grip is faulty and electrical appliances are connected to it. It also occurs when the grid is made of low-quality materials. When this is the case, it draws more power when switched on.
Surges are common and last for a microsecond but if you experience frequent surges it can lead to equipment damage.
Check the device that connects to the home grid or the wiring and try disconnecting. Look out for poor quality power boards or devices from the outlet. If the surges don’t occur again, your problem is solved.